Autumn is a wonderful time for getting outside in the garden. Gardening is an excellent activity for both your physical and mental health, but it is easy to get carried away and do too much in one go. Glynis has come up with her five top tips to protect your back whilst gardening:
- Kneel – bring yourself down to where you are working
- Bend your knees – this is good exercise for your legs and reduces back strain
- Alternate activities from bending to stretching. So weed for 20 minutes then prune for 20 minutes. It may mean that weeding takes two or three sessions but you will feel better when you have finished.
- Bring pots up onto a table
- Do get help – a job shared is a job halved